If you already know what kind of weekend you’re up for, use one of the links below to go to our lodging pages and get in touch for a reservation. Interested in some cool ideas for great getaways? Check out some sample itineraries below.
These itineraries can serve as your roadmap for a great getaway, or as inspiration for a unique trip of your own.
Bed & Breakfast & Outdoors Weekend
Sure, camping and cabins are great, but who says you have to rough it to enjoy the outdoors?
- Drive in Friday afternoon and check in at any of several Carroll County Bed & Breakfasts. Enjoy dinner and relaxing hospitality in a historic home.
- Start your Saturday morning with a tasty breakfast (it’s in the name!) and a nature walk. Many of our local B&B’s have extensive grounds you’ll enjoy exploring.
- Head to Spring Lake in Thomson for some fishing, or hike or bike the 8.7 mile trail around the lake. Take in gorgeous Mississippi river views and enjoy a picnic lunch.
- Spend the afternoon Exploring the 2,400 acres of Mississippi Palisades State Park, where wooded bluffs and overlooks provide gorgeous views of the river country. Take in a gorgeous river sunset.
- Enjoy another fine meal at your B&B, or head out to one of our many fine restaurants or nightlife locations.
- Looking for another fishing hole? Spend some time at Frog Pond, immediately off Route 84, south of Savanna. Or head to Ayers Sand Prairie Nature Preserve for a final hike (and birding) in unique terrain full of wildlife.
- Head home Sunday afternoon relaxed and with some great tales to tell!
Girl’s Getaway at Carroll County Cabins
Grab the girls and head to Carroll County for some much needed time with your favorites! A charming cabin is the perfect place to begin your retreat.
- Arrive on Friday evening and check in at one of our comfy cabins.
- Head out to a nightlife location for some music and drinks.
- End your night laughing together around the fire
- Eat an early breakfast at Brothers Inn Family Restaurant in Lanark.
- Kill it on Saturday with antiquing, golfing, shopping, winery tours, summer theater...whatever your group loves to do together!
- Grab dinner at a great local restaurant. Steak at the Crooked Roof or the Lake Carroll Clubhouse are not to be missed!
- Enjoy another evening talking by the fire, or take advantage of the hot tubs you’ll find in many local cabins.
- Start off your Sunday with breakfast at a local family restaurant.
- Visit one of our pampering services to get the total relaxation and attention you deserve.
- Head home from a great weekend with stronger bonds, and start thinking about your next group getaway!
A Relaxing Small Town Weekend
What if you can spend your weekend in one lovely local town, and enjoy every minute?
- Arrive Friday afternoon/evening and check in at one of the historic hotels in Mount Carroll. Grab dinner at a local restaurant (may we suggest Molly’s Kitchen and Bar) and then relax your evening away.
- Begin your Saturday with coffee and a hearty breakfast at Mount Carroll Cafe.
- Walk our brick streets and antique your heart out at Heritage Market.
- Move your shopping party over to College Street Creations for some personalized decor.
- Head over to Mt Carroll Bowling Center for lunch and some afternoon bowling fun.
- Have dinner and drinks at Molly’s, then head to Timber Lake Playhouse for an amazing show.
- Go back to your hotel for a restful night.
- On Sunday, enjoy some quiet walks, historic sites, and the 25 beautiful acres of Point Rock Park. Work off a picnic lunch with some frisbee golf.
- Head home with memories of small town charm, great food, great entertainment and a new home away from home!
Vacation Rental Road Warrior Weekend
Grab a vacation rental (with plenty of room for your bike) and use it as a base for your motorcycling weekend.
- Ride in on Friday, and check out your home for the weekend.
- Start your Saturday on the bike, heading out for a hearty breakfast. Ride through the gorgeous scenery of Carroll County.
- There’s always something to do here, stop at a small town festival, car show or do some shopping.
- Need lunch? Stop at the famous Poopy’s or the Iron Horse Social Club in Savanna!
- Spend the afternoon experiencing more of the open roads.
- Hungry for dinner? If you sampled Poopy’s or the Iron Horse for lunch, check the other one out for great food, drink and live music!
- Spend a quiet Sunday morning sleeping in or relaxing, then unwind even more on a long ride that leads home.
Campground Theater Weekend
Lots of people rough it, but how often have you roughed it so you can take in some of the best live entertainment in the Midwest? Check out this itinerary for camping on the grounds of the famed Timber Lake Playhouse.
- Arrive at Timber Lake Resort & Campground on Friday afternoon or evening, and pitch your tent, hook up your RV or maybe check into a luxury cabin.
- Saturday morning, hit Mount Carroll’s downtown for some tasty breakfast at Molly’s or the Mount Carroll Cafe. Do some shopping or enjoy Point Rock Park’s 25 acres of greenspace and trails.
- Have a picnic at Point Rock or in the pavilion back at the campground. Take a swim in the Timber Lake pool!
- Take in an amazing show at the famous Timber Lake Playhouse, America’s oldest and best summer stock theater.
- Sunday morning, enjoy the quiet beauty of the lake, and ready yourself for a day of relaxation.
- Get pampered, take a long walk, or shop ‘til you drop. Enjoy a relaxing Sunday in a welcoming community.
- Head home relaxed and ready for whatever the week has in store, but make sure you check the schedule so you can come see the next Timber Lake show!
Four Course Golf Weekend
Come to Carroll County and enjoy an entire weekend on the links.
- Check in Friday at a Carroll County hotel or motel, or stay at Sandburr Run so your lodging is right on the links.
- Spend a morning at Sandburr on their 9 hole course with driving range. Grab lunch at the Sandtrap Sports Bar.
- Head over to the Lake Carroll Golf course for 18 holes on an amazing course with lake views. Grab dinner at the club house—We recommend the steak or the shrimp linguine.
- On Sunday, arise early and get a hearty breakfast at one of our local family restaurants or cafes. Then work it off on the nine holes at Palisades Golf Course in Savanna!
- Make an important decision: Head for home, or golf some more? For some whimsical family fun, visit Trailside Inn Mini-Golf, or drive just 30 minutes to Storybrook Golf Course in Hanover for some Sunday afternoon play before you head home.
- Head into your week relaxed and more fit. Fore!
River Relaxation Weekend
The Mighty Mississippi is one of the best features of our region. Spend a whole weekend (or week!) of relaxation on the big river.
- Arrive Friday afternoon or evening at your lodging. We have many options, but you might want one of the ones that are at or near the Mississippi: cSavanna, Mississippi River Lodge, The River House, and The Outback Inn.
- Start the morning off fishing off the dock or river bank near your lodging. They’re biting, so reel them in!
- After grabbing lunch, rent a kayak or canoe from Fin & Feather or cSavanna and paddle the river, taking in gorgeous scenery and observing abundant wildlife. cSavanna has “drop-in packages where you can access the entry and exit points of a long paddle by bus.
- Relax on a deck or by a fire as the sun sets over the river, and shadows close in.
- Sunday morning! After coffee, pack your backpack and bike down the Great River Trail to Thomson Causeway Recreation Area. Enjoy 64 acres overlooking a three-mile wide Mississippi channel and wetlands.
- Head over to the Mississippi Palisades State Park and see more of the river—and more wildlife—from scenic overlooks.
- As the sun gets low, pack up and head home to share the pics and memories you made on the Mississip’!
Ready for the Time of Your Life?
Our beautiful region is yours to explore, and it’s right in your backyard, so why wait? Check out our fine lodging and make reservations for your Carroll County stay today!